Thursday, July 15, 2004

I don't recall.

I had the misfortune to catch part of a Full House rerun the other night. I’d clicked the channel, sat down with my burrito bowl from Chipotle & couldn’t get up once the show started.

But, the episode did get me thinking, where are all the good amnesia plots these days? This used to be a staple of shows in the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s. A crack on the head & BAMN, you’ve forgotten everything.

I always wanted to experience this as a kid. Not that I’d run into things in the hope of knocking myself out, (as this seemed to be the only thing that needed to happen to fall victim to the illness that robs - amnesia.)

Still, I always wondered, would I be a whole new me should I be so lucky as to lose my memory? Perhaps I’d be reinvented as a more kindly child, well liked with adults looking on with great concern thinking what a strong 7 year old with no memory I was.

Which brings me back to Full House, Michelle (played by the monkey-like Olson twins) fell from her horse. I was hoping for death, or paralysis on what could then be correctly termed as a “very special” episode, but regrettably she only lost her memory. I mean not even a broken bone.

Still, to my mind losing the memory of Bob Saget as your father would be a good thing.
Anyway, the rest of the cast all rallied around & sang to Michelle (either Monkey-Kate or Ape Olson, hard to tell) to jog her memory. My favorite part was seeing actress Jodi Sweetin all grown up at 13, being a sort of bitch on screen to Michelle. Acting or realty coming through? Hard to tell…

But I believe that Entertainment Tonight or Everybody Loves Raymond should employ the old amnesia trick, with the stars getting knocked in the head & forgetting who & what they are. That’s TV gold people, TV gold.

No comments: