Friday, August 12, 2005

Friend's Like These

My pen pal in England – yes, a true blue postal service using pen pal – asked for some recent pictures of me. Well, specifically she asked for copies of my latest headshots. So, being a nice pen pal I sent off a couple of pics for her perusal.

I just got her return letter, “par avion”, I have it in front of me so as not to miss quote. Her first, FIRST sentence, mind you reads “Just got your pics/letter today, tah – can’t believe how much you’ve aged!!”

Not only did she use two, count them, TWO exclamation points (!!!) she apparently “can’t believe” that I’ve aged. We’ve been writing now for about 12 years, did she think I was friggin Peter Pan for gods sake? That perhaps like Dorian Grey I have a portrait stashed in the attack?

Well, just another reason to dislike the English as much as the French I say.

On a note of why America isn’t as bad as the Canadians think – I was carded buying champagne today. In a Trader Joes I frequent no less!! (A sentence that *deserves* two punctuation marks.)

So take that English pen pal, yeah, while you may think I have “aged unbelievably” I still get carded when shopping for libations.

No comments: