Sunday, October 23, 2005

Mandarins are special people food

“Mandarins are special people food. When we have guests come over, we want to be able to go to the pantry and know that there is a tin of mandarins in there.”

I can remember my stepmother being very empathic about this. She was furious that she'd found an empty tin of mandarins in the recyling.

With three teenagers at home, my parents had begun shopping at Price-Costco, buying the family groceries in bulk. The station wagon would pull into the driveway and they'd call my siblings and me out to the garage to help begin carting in cases of more green beans than anyone would want to eat in a lifetime as far as I could see. They'd gone overboard with French’s dried onions, canned peas, raisins and the aforementioned tinned mandarins in light syrup.

Not even extra fancy mandarins mind you, or mandarins packed in juice. Just your regular, run of the mill, light syrup mandarins.

Now, I have never, ever, ever, seen my parents serve a dish containing mandarins to guests that just “pop over”. A vodka tonic or other refeshment - yes. Tasty nibbly crackers with aged cheese and olives, yes, but mandarins? Tin opened and plopped into a bowl? No. Never. Not once. My Dad hasn’t in my recollection ever presented a mock Chinese stir-fry with mandarins to people that just happen to visit. He’s whipped up Indian chicken vindaloo, marinated beef satay, embezzlers purses, spinakopita, roast beef with roast vegetables, Boeuf Wellington with homemade horseradish. All of these items have been served to folks that have visited, but, none of these dishes contain mandarins.

Which is why it was curious that the parents of a family on a budget would be so up in arms that one of their teenagers had eaten a tin of fruit that cost under a dollar, way less than a dollar when you factor in that they were buying pallets worth of the same thing. A true low cost meal.

When I moved out, the first thing I bought when I went the grocery store was tinned mandarins. Drunk with new found freedom and purchasing power they were the first item opened when I got home and I ate them all - straight from the tin. I even left the empty tin on the counter for a few days.

So, if you happen to drop by, while mandarins are special people food you won’t find them here. After several months of gourging myself on the things, I can't stomach them now. I do however like knowing that I can get them whenever I want. So, if you do happen to drop my, how about some capers instead?

No comments: