Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Velveteen Shirt - A Christmas Story

Several years ago now, I used to routinely receive clothing as gifts from my parents. Any gift is a really nice thought, and you shouldn’t really complain.

That being said - my brother and I used to have to keep our faces from falling when we’d unwrap a sweater that was on the stern side of conservative; jeans that were an inch too short, or a couple of years out of fashion. Christmas clothing was about the worst thing you could receive – other than one of those cards that read a donation was made in your name to “insert charity here”.

Finally the parental units just stopped the clothing purchasing at Chrissy which was a blessing. Well, most of the parental units.

Somewhere in her late 40’s our mother developed a great fondness for any type of silk shirt – especially if the shirt appears that it could have been worn by a waiter unlucky enough to find themselves working at a very seedy Vietnamese restaurant in the early 80’s. These types of garments are the ones she regularly “rescues” from various Thrift/Op Shops for the (bargain) price of $1. You can hear her say, and I quote, “Silk is so cool to wear. It’s so easy to wash, it’s comes up wonderfully.”

This past Christmas I was presented with a package from my mother that she’d had my brother smuggle past customs. J mentioned that he hadn’t wanted to bring it, but he’d promised.



To be fair to Mum, the shirt itself is something that I would have worn when I was 19 and sneaking into 21 and up clubs with my friend Mark down in San Diego.

However, I’m no longer 19, I don't live in San Diego, it’s no longer 1994 and I’m not usually one to wear crushed velvety vaguely snake like material. I was almost longing for one of the oft mocked (on my part) silk shirts.

Mum has asked if I’m wearing it out - my only valid excuse for not wearing it more often is my Thai Fortune Teller has told me not to wear red. You can’t go against that can you?

1 comment:

vinsandiego said...

It's beautiful... can she get one in my size?

P.S. You did wash it before you put it on... didn't you?