Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Nothing to fear execpt fear itself (and cars)

Some days are just like this I guess.

Driving to work this morning on the 110 freeway in Los Angeles, I came to a large section of stopped traffic near the end of the freeway. The traffic lights were out, and a traffic cop was directing traffic.

It was at this point, I noticed my car taking a serious lean towards the right. This is how I came to find I had a flat tire on the oldest, narrowest freeway in Los Angeles. No shoulder, nowhere to pull over – just 1 of 3 lanes.

I put on the emergency lights, hopped out and opened the boot grabbing the jack and spare tire. It’s quite the special feeling to have a half mile of cars behind you, all stuck until they can get by you as you change a flat. On the bright side, the flat tire was on the side of the car away from the other traffic, and there were the lights that weren’t functioning. This meant that traffic was moving at a crawl anyway, so the chance of being mowed over by someone putting on makeup or texting was very slight.

Well, I’ve lived through one of my greatest fears – breaking down on the freeway – and lived to tell. With that one off the list, I hope this doesn’t mean that an actual vampire is going to break into my house at night, cause that’s on the list of my greatest fears too.

No comments: