Monday, May 24, 2004

...& I like snatch...

I just love all the little language differences that crop up when English isn’t someone’s first language. A while back, when people used to say folks were talking “smack” about you, a friend from France heard the term & thought she had it down. She decided to use her new lingo when we were having a chat with some other folks and things got a bit heated - the lovely French lass said she didn’t want to hear people going around talking snap about her. So close, yet so far…

I was in my friends car as we all drove to see Shrek 2, and he was playing a song by the A*Teens, “Perfect Match”. Well, one line of this sugary pop confection is, and I kid you not, “& I like Snatch.” To be fair, it’s a song of comparisons and the full lyric is “You like Grease & I like Snatch” (delivered sincerely with angelic vocals by the boys of the band), so they’re contrasting those two films – however, it still didn’t stop us from giggling away like 12 year olds, & we’ve been repeating the line ad nauseam forgetting that some of our other friends don’t listen to pop & are quite shocked to hear this.

Of course, Snatch isn’t slang in quite a few other places, but I’m thinking that’s probably the line that will prevent Clear Channel from broadcasting the tune on the airwaves over here.

Now go talk some snap.

No comments: