Tuesday, February 27, 2007

All that glitters isn't gold

Hmm, well, despite what people on QVC tell you, weight is no sign of true quality. My nice old man ring is FAKE. Not in the “hologram” sense of being fake, it is tangible after all, more in the “not real gold” sense.

Over lunch today my friend and I stopped by our local pawn shop. I felt a tad seedy going in and producing a ring – thank goodness for good support from friends. Anyway, I handed the “jewelry” over. The pawner took a look at it, got out his eye glass and did a quick scratch test. Not real gold, not real diamonds, just fools gold & cut glass – all for the bargain price of $65.

I offered it to my friend for her upcoming nuptials – it’s a ring with history after all. She said no. Ungrateful I say.

On the bright side, I do know what I’ll be taking to my next white elephant party, complete with certificate of in-authenticity.

1 comment:

Dame Wendy said...

Oh wow, I just read your tale of receiving the ring. I did the same thing with an old lady who seemed like a sweet little thing and left her brooch with me. It's still sitting in all it's $25 plastic and glass glory on my dresser. Good stuff.

(found your blog through Jeff's, so you don't think I'm a complete nut)