Thursday, February 22, 2007

One ring shall rule them all

I lost $65 the other day; somewhat carelessly I hesitate to add. It went down like this.

I was at my 2nd job in downtown Los Angeles on Monday night. During the evening a tourist entered the store needing directions to a place on 5th street – we’re on 6th – so I walked him outside and pointed him in the correct direction.

As I re-entered the store, an old gentleman approached me with another question. He explained he’d locked his keys in his car, along with his wallet. AAA had sent a lock smith out who required that he get paid prior to opening the door. Old man of course couldn’t pay as his wallet was in the car. He then returned to his cell phone to speak with the AAA, again explaining where he was and what was happening with his Mercedes.

Anyway, he asked if he could borrow $65 to pay the “bumbling locksmith” that the Auto Club had sent, and he’d come right back – he even offered to pay a borrowing fee, and could I please help an old retired attorney out.

It smelled like a rat, it really did. But, I was also thinking of my own grandfather, and getting locked out of the car. I should have offered to go out to the guy & pay him myself – and then collect the money back from the old guy then & there. I should have also remembered that my grandfather wasn’t the type to lock himself out of his car. But I did none of those things; we had other customers, and I kinda figured that maybe I was wrong to be so distrusting of the older generation.



I ended up loaning, well, “giving him” I guess - the $65, which is how I ended up with an 18 carat gold old guy ring. The really chunky kind that I’d need at least another 60 or 70 years on me to wear with anything less than irony. He left it with me as collateral.



I think I’ll try and pawn it….

No comments: