Friday, February 02, 2007

I'll tell you what you want, what you really, really want

Picture it, the end of the go-go 90's, girl power is all the rage and Halloween is coming up – what are two friends to do? Well, if you're my friend PC & me, you gather 3 others and dress up as the Spice Girls for a Halloween romp.

During the Spice Girl revolution of 1997/1998 PC and I had spent many an hour driving to Los Angeles and back with the Spice’s debut album "Spice" blaring from the car speakers. I'd invariably take the parts of Posh and Scary, while PC would tackle Baby and Ginger and we'd share Sporty depending on who was singing when. Now and again we'd have heated discussions over just who was singing what part, and whether or not one of us had screwed up in singing a particular line.

Anyway, Halloween.

I was cast as Sporty, being a helluva lot more Sporty than PC or the three others PC had gathered to flesh out the group.



PC had a thing for Baby Spice, especially after I scored us near front row tickets during the Spice World tour. We got to see Baby practically push a kid off the stage when her "singing with children 'cause I'm so baby & nice" number was done. Baby even kicked one of the soft toys that was thrown on stage for her out of her way as she exited.



We arrived at the club, and standing inline as the famous fivesome, we were noticed, recognized and complimented. Our group effort even allowed to enter the club in a relatively quick fashion. The whole place had been decorated for Halloween, and as a special treat one of the upstairs rooms near a bar had been transformed into a lounge; the owners had even splashed out on plastic rubbery blow up furniture. You could lounge in an oversized blow up plastic chair, or sit with a couple of friends on a the inflatable rubber couch. The furniture was clear plastic, very thick and reinforced. What with the lighting, smoke, thumping music and alcohol the whole room was giving off a very cool vibe.

Now, what do five friends all dressed up on Halloween do at a dance club? Well, you continue what you started at home of course - you drink. I’m not sure how many times the phrase “Sporty needs another drink” passed my lips that evening, but there are sections of the evening that are still a little blurry for me.

I do remember “Baby” rolling up a sleeve of her baby-doll to secure a pack of cigarettes in place, ciggies purloined from some stranger in the club. This gave our Baby a unique sort of air; think a mix of BabySpice, hairy drag queen & the Fonze.

Baby had on fake nails, which she began popping off from the 2nd floor balcony down to the main dance floor at a later point in the evening. However, fairly early on, probably about 11:45ish we’d both collapsed on the main blow up plastic couch in the resting room – PC/Baby not used to having fake nails had inadvertently sat fake finger nails first and pierced the couch causing a slow leak. As the evening progressed and we made the rounds back to the room, the once firm, supportive couch collapsed into a pool of unusable clear rubber on the floor that people had to step around as they leaned against the wall. I don’t think there were cameras, and we were never asked to pay – so I think it’s an accident we walked away from with relative impunity.

Now as legend goes – well, the legend amongst my friends – I was hit on by a straight guy. This is the part I don’t believe, we happened to be at a gay club in San Diego – so it’s not too likely that it was a straight boy. In any event, I *do* remember chatting with the fellow who’d probably bought me a drink. Now, I looked somewhat like a girl – but I guess with club lighting, and a few drinks as the sailors say “any hull looks sound in the dark”.

I can recall his hand of my bared midriff, and that it wound its way up my torso slipping beneath the sports bra top for a quick squeeze – of what he found out was actually one half of a blue foam baseball. Yeah, Sporty Spice wasn't sporting a real spice rack.

Next is all rather vague, but I recall that somehow Scary was holding onto my legs, as the guy had me by the torso. Both were pulling me mightily in different directions - I was suspended above the floor in a pose much like something that the Chiquita Banana lady might do in a commercial hawking fresh fruit. Baby was drunkeningly laughing at the tug of war over Sporty and offering no help what so ever – Posh had already left with someone and Ginger was no where to be seen. So much for girl power.

Anyway, the relatively sober Scary had more strength than the masher – and I was pulled back to safety, or at least out of his arms.

In the years since, PC has held fast to his version of events, that Scary had saved my life. Or, at least saved me from a beating. I’m not so sure about that, but I do know I’m never dressing up as a Spice Girl ever again.



Oh yeah, we won a competition in the Official Spice Girls Fan Club dress up like a Spice Girl Competition.

No comments: